Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index Oman Adventure Sports
A community for adventure sports in Oman

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index

weekly climbing trips
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index -> Who wants to go climbing...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
murgdevil
Sand Kicker!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Mcdonalds View Reply with quote

Just thought i would throw this into the current arena, but, i thought that Mr Mcdonald did not want any of his climbs bolted without his express permission. This does not seem too be the case, also, a number of Trad routes have been bolted without consulting the many Trad climbers out here in Oman. Comments from the floor please....
________
YAMAHA TX81Z

Last edited by murgdevil on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Larry
Super active activist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a totally different issue and you should start a new thread.

However, I really am curious, how many trad climbers are there? My guess is about 10? How many times would a route be climbed if it wasn't bolted? What is the point of having a route if no one climbs it? I'm not saying we should bolt all climbs but with the crap rock here is it a good idea to have routes that are unsafe due to lose rock? I mean in particular routes that are fairly easy like scorpion. I have climbed my share or trad routes so I know the appeal of climbing trad, but honestly the with the lose rock here is it really worth it?

As far as the established routes that have been bolted, I think that they were done for the good of climbing here and if Macdonald or others feel slighted so be it. If they want a temple raised in there honor well I can't help them out, I personally would rather put up routes that are climbed and appreciated.
joggl
Super active activist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Larry,

i think you are overdoing something there. In many places of the world people are used to ask the person who did the first ascent of a route on trad if they allow the bolting of that route. Most of the times the answer is "Yes". People also should respect a "no"! There is a great number of climbs in Oman still untouched by bolts. The biggest problem is how to get hold of the phone number or the e-mail adress of the one who did the first ascent.

Bolts are a good thing - but not everywhere!!!

Jakob
Larry
Super active activist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, there is lots of rock in Oman and no point fighting over it as we all need to establish more routes rather then fight over existing routes. I think the lines in question are some of the routes in wadi mai. I really can't think of another route that has been bolted that was a trad line. The was one route in Kubra that was bolted but the bottom was trad and that was bolted but the original feel of the route is still there:twisted: Anyway my opinion is that if it's a choice between a death route and a route that people will climb and enjoy I prefer that later, but I wouldn't bolt someones climb no mater how much I want to... (6c in Kubra anyone?)

I have to say that I am still very happy that mental recharge is bolted as other wise I would have never climbed it Laughing

I am still waiting to find nice trad lines in Oman most of them are pretty crappy rock/ lose scary rock. In my experience.
joggl
Super active activist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Larry,

letīs have a day on the Nizwa Towers. I would recommend the route "Orgasmus". My girlfriend said after the first ascent: Starting off nicely and getting always better towards the summit... Very Happy
TonyR
Super active activist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Debate... Reply with quote

Nice to see that the debate still rages on...

For what it is worth.. even though I am no longer there in person... The work done by all bolters over the recent years is fantastic and allows a lot of people to access the areas.. me included.. that I would have struggled to have enjoyed without their hard work..

As for Justins approach.. I think a level head needs to be applied... after all we know the īcompaniesīare out there doing this anyway... I believe that Justions offer was more about trying to help out the people who do not have the equipment or expertise to get out there by themselves... in a similar fashion to the way we all did a few years ago when introducing Salome and others to the sport...

Just my little $0.02 .......

In the meantime... I will sign up for the personal climbing guide experience if as well as holding a shade over me they carry a portable AC (aimed at me) and comes equipped with a cool drinks cabinet on their back... oh... and carries a quick-clip for those routes where you know you can finish but just dont have the guts to get that bolt..... Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index -> Who wants to go climbing... All times are GMT + 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: