Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index Oman Adventure Sports
A community for adventure sports in Oman

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index

"Wild" Camping and Trekking in Oman

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index -> General Country Info + Camping and Places to Stay
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moserberni
Active Activist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: "Wild" Camping and Trekking in Oman Reply with quote

Hi to everybody!
Iam glad to found this website and this forum - really interesting!
I have several questions, maybe someone can help me:
I am planning a 2-weeks stay in Oman (30.9.-15.9.2008, arriving at Muscat), i want to go trekking to see as much as possible of Omans nature, and, if possible, to camp with my tent and don`t sleep in "5-stars-hotels".
Is wild camping allowed (sleeping in tent not on official camp sites)?
Is it dangerous or are there areas where i shouldn`t do it?
Is it a good idea to rent a car and drive around by myself, or should i ask an official tour operator?
Are there camp sites around Muscat Area?
Does anybody have experience with camping and trekking around by themselve?
Thanks for any informations you can give to me!
Greetings from Vienna, Austria
Berni
kimbill
Super active activist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Berni,

You don't need to hire an official tour guide, but you definitely need to rent a 4WD. You can't get to the trailheads without one. The big international car rental companies might not be the cheapest sources of 4WDs; try Zubair Automotive or Al Maskry car rental. Tony posted some information about car rentals and other practical details elsewhere on this forum.

It will still be quite hot in Oman in September. Temperatures above 40 would not be unusual in Muscat at that time. For trekking to be comfortable, you will need to get to higher elevations.

There are not really "official" campgrounds, except for a couple on Jebel Shams. You can camp anywhere you like as long as you are not too close to a village or ask the villager's permission if you do want to camp nearer.
There isn't a campground around Muscat. This is a problem for visitors looking for a cheap base for exploring the Muscat area. The yacht club at Qantab, not far from the Al Bustan area, may allow visitors to camp on the beach at their facility for a night or two for a fee. They have showers and a restaurant and a nice beach. That area is soon to be the site of a hotel complex, so we're not 100% sure that the club will still be in business.

Omanis are friendly and helpful people. You would have no trouble travelling around Oman by yourselves. The Oman Explorer Off-Road Guide is useful for driving in Oman. You can buy it here or order it from Amazon.

Kim and Bill
moserberni
Active Activist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
thanks for the infos!!!
Berni
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index -> General Country Info + Camping and Places to Stay All times are GMT + 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: