Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index Oman Adventure Sports
A community for adventure sports in Oman

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index

2 x Via Ferratas are closed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index -> Via Ferratas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob
Rock Magnet

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: 2 x Via Ferratas are closed Reply with quote

The Via ferratas are closed for a while.

Bander Al khran: the wire just coming out of the cave is split in 2 and will need replacing.
The wire before the cave is all ok.

Snake canyon: a boulder or something heavy has pulled the wire and needs tightening, some of the protecting clips round the wire have shown allot of wear and few have come off. more use on this will cause damage to the wire.
The ministry know about this and we will be putting it right ASAP, when they give the go ahead.

There are signs put up and the wires are blocked off.
Tony A
Rock Magnet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob

Can you give me an update on the status of the via ferratas - I'm particularly interested Bander Al Khran. Is the island OK to camp on? Is there any difficulty in getting to the island via the fishing boats; and what's a fair price to pay for a lift across to the island?

Regards, Tony A
TonyR
Super active activist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Bandar Khyran.. Reply with quote

hiya

can't say this officially but it should help.... you are best phoning Rob Gardner for an official answer... (his contact details are on the links page - http://www.omanclimbing.com/html/contact_us.html - Muscat Dive and Adventure Center)..

The Snake Gorge VF is open.. I've been recently and many too others... there was a metal bar near the end that had one padlock holding it in place... I believe the key couldn't be found... but you can reach past it without any difficulty...

the BK VF is ok oin the first half... You can get to the half way exit without any problems... there was cable damage on the second half following a storm last year (2008).. I don't know if this has been repaired yet but you can certainly go all the way up to it (I believe it is past the Wire Monkey Traverse).. and then retreat to the half way exit...

Camping - not a problem except the lack of space... the beach is ok for a small group... There is plenty of room on top of the island but it is very barren... You can get a fisherman to take you out there.. you need to go to the next village to do this... as there is now a construction site on the old launch beach.... There is a signpost in arabic and english requesting people to not hire fisherman but to use official boats for safety reasons etc.. You could pay as little as 5 Rials for a round trip.. per boat... (total) but I would expect twice that these days... particularly if you are staying overnight... Make sure you get the phone number (and check it - i.e. ring it..) of the guy(s) who take you... and also make good arrangements for time...

I only say this as I got stuck there for 2 hours on a very sunny day... the guy didn't come back and we flagged down a passing boat... one of his mates.. who then wanted to charge twice the agreed price.... (I think we were set up...)

If you have kayaks that is your best option... make a nice day of it... or hire then from Rob for the day....

Happy VFing... feel free to get in touch if you need any more help...

Tony.
+96892598502

Tony A
Rock Magnet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony

Many thanks fpor the information and the advice I'm most grateful.

Regards, Tony
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index -> Via Ferratas All times are GMT + 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: