Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index Oman Adventure Sports
A community for adventure sports in Oman

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index

I guess I should start this off...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index -> Kayaking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyR
Super active activist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: I guess I should start this off... Reply with quote

Hello folks

So apart from any other areas you might have met me throug I am also a kayaker... well was in the dim and distant past... so in an effort to get back into doing what I loved doing - I went out and bough a sea kayak... not alot of other types out here worth looking at... unless there are any surk kayak owners out there.,.,.,.,.

I got my self a Dagger Prospect - Click here for a spec......

Now just waiting to get out and meet other kayakers wanting to go and ecplore....

Get in touch,

Take it easy... Tony.

NB: Miffed I missed all the swells the other monday - 8/1/07 - haven't got my roof rack sorted yet...

Heiko
Rock Magnet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony,

Nice to see there are fellow boaters out here. I am a long time white- water kayaker and kayak polo player. However, since I lived in Holland for a few years and mountains were far I got into Kite surfing more in recent times.
I arrived 3 months ago and I brought one of my old playboats along (RPM) to catch some waves maybe?
I also was looking into buying a sea kayak. Where did you get yours and how did you get it here?
I would be interested to go for some sea-kayaking trips !

Cheers, Heiko
kiwiyakker
Rock Magnet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Another Kayaker Reply with quote

Hi, Glad to see this forum section going. I have recently entered the kayaking world and the family fleet grew from nothing last year to a Dagger Cayman SOT, Hobie 2 man Mirage SOT and a pink Venus II SOT. Roll on long weekends and longer evenings.

I was pleased to find a nice put in spot at the Muscat end of the AL Bustan beach. Turn off at the large Ministry building and just before the entrance to the Building you can veer right down a small wadi that runs to the beach. Unload kayaks about 50 ft from the water and back up a little out of the wadi bed for some reasonable parking. This will put you in reach of both Bunda Jussa and the Marinas or even Sidab / Cemetery cove etc.
4x4 not essential for this one.
6upXC
Super active activist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's two more of us in the process or sourcing a pair of Hobie Revolution Mirage SOTs with sail kits - will definitely be looking to do some trips.
TonyR
Super active activist

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: And the wait continues.... Reply with quote

Still - the wait continues as the couriers still can't get into gear and manage to move my roof rack feet from South Africa to Here.....

I'll get my boat on the roof one of these days.... and on the water....

Tony.

sunburn
Rock Magnet

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello ! Also glad to see this forum up and running - I put a post on the surfing board but it is for both I guess...I brought my wavesport 'X' over here for some surf kayaking and I have had a few great days at PDO and Qurum last year and this year as well.

Anyone doing this as well? I'd love to know about any group trips or spots that are fairly close to town. The boat fits easily on my small SUV - you may have seen me driving around w a white hyundai with an orange whitewater boat on the roof...

I'm still a bit rusty on the roll but I've had some great rides on the occasional swell here - only swam 2 or 3 times thanks mostly to fatigue and sloppy form / panic underwater. All good fun ! Sure beats the paddle jacket, wetsuit and frozen face that I'm used to back home! ( Victoria , BC , Canada )

Pls let me know through the forum or email - isononthecake@yahoo.ca

TonyR
Super active activist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Surfing in Kayaks... Reply with quote

Hiya Sunburn

Glad to see that there is another kayaker with a surf background... brought up kayaking in the North Sea at Scarborough (UK) - in winter it was usally about 4 or 5 degrees in the water but sub zero out of it with the wind chill.... Great!!!!

I've seen you out and about on the roads... you'll spot me waving next time I see you - Red Discovery with a big Aluminum and black roof-rack mounted on it....

I've got a sea kayak here... not even had it out yet as my rack has only just arrived... BUT... my wife has a much smaller sit on top kayak.... very small in fact .. might be good to get out and try some surfing on... (I'll see if I can fabricate some knee straps for it....)

Give me a ring if you are heading out... my GSM is 92598502....

Take it easy,

Tony.

Heiko
Rock Magnet

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sunburn,

I got my whitewater boat here as well. Got here only a few months back so did not have a real go so far, but mainly because I am kitesurfing when there is swell and wind! However, i am sure there will be days with swell and no wind Smile. I heard in Asselah the waves are fantastic... but thats mainly in the summer season.
If you a re planning to go just let me know, would be fun to get out again.

Cheers, Heiko
GSM 92887039
kiwiyakker
Rock Magnet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: 6UP -- Revolutions arrived yet? Reply with quote

Hi 6UP, any luck landing your new hobies yet? I am building a V sail (Pacific Action style) for my Cayman SOT and would be interested to see how the hobie kit works when you get it here.
TonyR
Super active activist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Fadal to Padal Reply with quote

Anyone fancy joining ernie and myself in a not too distant future - say about 2 weeks - on a paddle to falal island....

Tony...

kiwiyakker
Rock Magnet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Fahal Trip Reply with quote

Yep Fahal sounds interesting. Will help with training as chaperone for a potential Fahal swim competitor.
Can I bring along my favourite kingfish lure?
6upXC
Super active activist

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 6UP -- Revolutions arrived yet? Reply with quote

kiwiyakker wrote:
Hi 6UP, any luck landing your new hobies yet? I am building a V sail (Pacific Action style) for my Cayman SOT and would be interested to see how the hobie kit works when you get it here.

They've arrived!!!!

Finally the new Revolutions turned up late Wednesday evening.
Tony and I hit the water the following morning, putting in at Qrum just around from the Crowne Plaza.
We instantly headed out around the corner getting the feel as we went and ten minutes later put in at SAF beach to make some fine adjustments to the Mirage drives and fit the sails. Then we headed straight out for Fahal. Moderate swell by the time we got there and begining to whitecap beyond Fahal. Took an hour to get there but we weren't rushing it - just taking our time getting to grips with the sail etc. Tony has never sailed before and he managed just fine with just a few minutes of basic how-to-do-it from me. raced back to RAH beach with some drift but easy handling then turned downwind and paddled back home. three and a half hours on the water. Was fantastic. The Revolution is very easy to handle and with the three choices of propulsion (paddle, mirage drive and sail) it's very usable. It's designed a fishing platform and that's one of the main reasons we chose this model as we are planning to do lots of saltwater fly fishing from them. Busy sourcing all the extra gear we need but in the meantime it's fantastic to be back out on the ocean in a kayak!

Wooohooo!!! Very Happy
6upXC
Super active activist

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Yaks for sale Reply with quote

Hi all

the two hobie mirage revolution kayaks shown in the picture are now for sale.

Interested parties please contact me for more details

blue skies
Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index -> Kayaking All times are GMT + 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: