Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index Oman Adventure Sports
A community for adventure sports in Oman

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index

Kite Surfing- Any Training Available?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index -> Kite Surfing - General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zahir
Sand Kicker!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Kite Surfing- Any Training Available? Reply with quote

Hello..
I am very much interested into learning Kite Surfing.
I have met with some of the guys in Athaiba beach few months back & they gave me some good advices. I then went to Dubai to get some training & buy my own kit.
However, its been really difficult going to Dubai to get such training especially that it all depends on the wind & I have gone there few times & wasted the whole weekend waiting for winds without any luck!

I haven't seen any of the guys in Athaiba lately, have the place changed?
Also, is there anyone here in Muscat that provide training? I have a full kit.

Thanks & hope to see you soon..
Larry
Super active activist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes the place has changed slightly as some rich jerk complained to the police and made us move down the beach. no big deal but we now meet about 1km east of where we were before.

Just come to the beach with your kite and we will help you to get going. If you know the basics and can swim you will be fine.

Larry
TonyR
Super active activist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: change of venue Reply with quote

any chance you could post an updated map and I'll add it to the website...

thanks,

Tony.

NB: Saw one of the worst cases of bad judgement ever the other week in Greece... sitting on a 10m wide beach packed with '000's of people - beach shades every 4 metres... and abot a strip of sand 10 feet wide between them and the water.... kite surfer (late teens) shows up.. it's a decently windy day but he is right at the end of the bay to try and get as much of an on shore angle as he can... that said the wind was pretty much along the shore line... puts his kit together, launches from the kite from directly up-wind... lunches himself into the air.... then spends 15 minutes struggling to get the kite under control and work his way back up wind by body dragging.... each time he gets it controlled - he looks away and it veers of to one side... BY THIS TIME.... every one has got out of the water and a large group of on-lookers have gathered along the beach.... eventually whilst still swimmingabout 30m off the shore and not getting back upwind to get to his board (his mates even tried taking it to him....) he crashes it... FORTUNATELY out to see... 30 minutes later he gives up and pulls his chicken loop to de-power... he hadn't noticed that the kite had looped through the lines when it crashed.... he was lucky he got away without hurting anyone, only his pride... he packed up and dissapeared...

Larry
Super active activist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep pride will kill you every time!! It doesn't seem to matter what sort of training you have, if you are arrogant and underestimate the strength of the wind something will hit the fan.... Nothing against training and I know that it is getting better but some people that are instructors are guilty of some very poor judgment calls. My best advice is don't rush and if you have the choice set up a small kite. It's much easier to rig a bigger kite then die... The other bit of advice is ask what others are putting up and let the more experienced be the Ginny pig.

Ok I'll shut up now

L
Zahir
Sand Kicker!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,,
Thanks for your replies & will be looking around for any windy day around..

Last weekend I went to Ras Al Had camping & managed to practice some kiting on the beach as the wind was around 12-14..I didn't get into the sea as I didn't reach that stage yet!

Please give me a call or sms if you going kiting here in Muscat so I could join..My mobile is 99440770..Thanks

Zahir.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index -> Kite Surfing - General Chat All times are GMT + 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: