Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index Oman Adventure Sports
A community for adventure sports in Oman

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index

Questions on Snake Gorge and Western Isle Via Ferrata

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index -> Via Ferratas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcrtchly
Sand Kicker!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Questions on Snake Gorge and Western Isle Via Ferrata Reply with quote

Late last month (March) my partner and I attempted the Snake Gorge Via Ferrata but failed on the 1st Tyrolean traverse. My partner went first but found that her (new) Petzl Tandem didn't run very fast and only took her about 1/3rd away across before she had to pull on the wire. She got about a couple of metres before the end where she ran out of strength.

Fortunately, I had a rope and with the help of another party managed to rescue her. Two girls in the other party then attempted the crossing and came across the same problem and had to be rescued as well.

We are going to try again in May but would like to know if there is any recent change in the traverse which might affect getting across? Are there any tips to getting across successfully? Or do we just need stronger arms! We were told by another party that one of the hangers on the first traverse was damaged but I don't know where.

Also, we plan to do the Western Isles Via Ferrata and would like to know how easy it is to get a boat to the island and the likely cost. Also is the any description of this Via Ferrata?

Martin
Larry
Super active activist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no trick but make sure the pulley is on a short sling and not the longer ones on your Y, it shouldn't take that much arm strength to get across.

The via ferrata on the island is closed as far as I know.
mcrtchly
Sand Kicker!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, thanks for your reply. Anybody have definitive news on whether the Western Isle Via Ferrata is closed and why?
Tweezle
Sand Kicker!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would becareful using Snake G and BK VF because the installation was based on French system.

BK VF Is damaged. Last time an anchor came out while my mate was on it likely he is experienced climber!

Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PeterT
Active Activist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a couple of questions about Snake Gorge:

On the Snake Gorge tyroleans, are there pulleys left in situ, or do you bring your own?

If it's the latter, do MDAC loan them out?

Has anyone done the VF recently? Is it all ship shape at the moment?

Cheers all

Pete
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index -> Via Ferratas All times are GMT + 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: