Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index Oman Adventure Sports
A community for adventure sports in Oman

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index

Camping near Muscat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index -> General Country Info + Camping and Places to Stay
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cols110
Active Activist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Camping near Muscat Reply with quote

G`day all I am planning on running a Surf Ski race in Muscat during Febuary and I need to find a beach to finish the race on and be able to camp as well.

After playing on Google Earth this is one of the courses I am thinking of using, starting on Qurum Beach head out around Fahal Island then follow the coast down to Yiti Beach to the finish.

I have never been to Yiti Beach ( 23 32.540'N 58 40.177'E) but have seen it mentioned in one of the Guide books as OK to camp on, is this still correct or have they started to constrcut a resort or similar here. Are there any other options anyone would recomend for a beach to finish a race on and be able to camp on afterwards.

Depending on the wind direction on the day I may need to change the direction of the race, but after looking at the history of wind conditions in Muscat it looks as though in Feb we have a good chance of having of the wind blowing from the NW which would give us a perfect 25km downwind paddle from Fahhl Island. If there was a better beach closer to Muscat I could shorten the route by a few kms but I would rather not lengthen it by to much more.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.
rob_jones
Active Activist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert on the area having only been here five weeks but Yiti Beach is fine to camp on. Friends camped there last week and it was no problem.
Will the race be just surf skis or could open kayaks be elligable too?
Have you got a full sponsorship package for the event or wold you like to discuss options as we have a watersports shop within the group i work for?
email me direct: azzahaconcrete@gmail.com
Rob Jones

cols110
Active Activist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob, the info on Yiti Beach is greatly appreciated and it looks like it will work out well for a race finish and camping location. Hopefully the wind will blow from the NW and we will be all set for a good downwind race.

I am trying to get a long distance Middle East Surfski race series up and running and Muscat is one of the places I am keen to promote so we can hopefully get a few new paddlers involved. But in answer to your question no I cant see any problems in people paddling any other craft as long as they are able to complete the distance (25-30km)safely and possible un-assisted if we cannot get a safety boat to assist in sweeping the course.

I will email you directly in a few days when I get the final proposal for the race series finalised, and yes we are after sponsorship I am tapping a few sources already but more are always welcome. I may also have a few other contacts you maybe interested in.

Thanks again for the info on Yiti.
TonyR
Super active activist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Sorry to dampen your fire.... Reply with quote

Hiya col

Sorry to mention this but there is a load of construcyion on that beach area at the minute... see photo... the whole of the large beach area (most easily recoginsed by its broad strech of sand and a huge boulder at one end) has now gone... This is all part of a construction site... though I am told construction has stopped due to finanace at the moment... probably not for long though.... There is a spot past the village on this road that still has a beach area - probably where robs friends camped... but it is not huge... any more than a few 4x4s and its crowded..... I need to go and look at the whole place for work trips (kids days out) in the next couple of days so I will let you know what I find out....

Other options are limited now down there..Bandar Khyran is a locked and ugly location now - (was amazing and just what you needed).. but it now under construction - (again stopped at the moment)...

Yiti Beach End: 2331'56.68"N 5840'53.00"E

Empty Beach: 2330'58.93"N 5844'34.02"E

This location I have looked at but never been to - will see if I can get there this week... might be a bit far though....

hope this helps,

Tony.

TonyR
Super active activist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternative start to loose a couple of KMs would be:

2338'20.49"N 5829'28.06"E

Public beach - easy access, next to PDO....

Tony.

cols110
Active Activist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony thanks for that mate, it now looks like we have another option which would be from Oman Dive Centre down to Al Sifah beach, that would give us approx 25kms race distance and Al Sifah seems like quite a big beach so hopefuuly all being well this option may work out and depending on the wind direction on the day the race could be run in either direction to maximise down wind conditions.
TonyR
Super active activist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: seifah... Reply with quote

i'll head down there this week... and let you know how its looking..post some photos.. but looks like a good plan beach is big enough as long as you can launch from ODC; IF NOT; bandar jissah is another option therer..

speak soon, tony.

cols110
Active Activist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tony I found Bandar Jissah on GE and see what you mean, either OMC or BJ would be perfect to launch from.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index -> General Country Info + Camping and Places to Stay All times are GMT + 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: