Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index Oman Adventure Sports
A community for adventure sports in Oman

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index

Sur area

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index -> General Country Info + Camping and Places to Stay
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tobyfk
Super active activist

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Sur area Reply with quote

I am trying to put together a fairly distant trip with some friends flying out from the UK. Does anyone have any recommendation on any of the hotels on the coast south-east of Muscat: Sur etc.
TonyR
Super active activist

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Ras al Had - @20km South of Sur Reply with quote

Hiya Toby

IF you look on the map - just along (SW) of Sur - you get to Ras Al Had - it's a peninsular that sticks out -an interesting old place - the lagoon was a landing site for flying boats during WW2 - I believe there is still the wreck of one in the lagoon.

At the very end of the road - directions below - there is the Ras Al Had hotel...Tel: +968 99376989

This is a 3* hotel but VERY good..... the road to it is still under construction so they are still cheap, also no land line yet as that will come after the road etc... I think we paid about 25 OMR for a double room for the night including breakfast.. evening meals are about 3 OMR for a main course.. and they serve alchooly drinks..

We have stayed there 3 times now - on visits to Ras Al Jinz to see the turtles....

To get there... Head for Sur.... As you approach Sur you cross various roundabouts until you reach a Y style roundabout... (LCC or LGC to the left) You take the right for Sur Town Centre.... You then head through Sur across various roundabouts... until you get to a large mosque on your left - at this roundabout take a RIGHT... A signpost says Ras Al Had 60km - but that was before the new road which gets you there in aobut 20km... Stick to the road - through a couple of small hamlets until you are skirting the coast and then come back inland slightly...

Shortly after leaving the coast you get to a T junction... Take a LEFT....(If you go right here it is about 4km to the Ras Al Jinz turn off - on your left - for the turtles....) Back to the left turn at the T junction)

You go up and over a small rise and suddenly the road stops... follow your nose around the round works and in about 1.5km (on the new road) you get a left hand bend in the road... follow this round and the hotel is at the end - about another 1km on....

Hope this helps.

Take it easy,

Tony.

tobyfk
Super active activist

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Will investigate that place.
TonyR
Super active activist

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: I should also add.... Reply with quote

Hiya Toby

I should also add that if you have 4x4 the road hrading back North/NE along the coast to Quiriyat is erally good.... they are currently building a new motorway down there BUT the old road is still open.. it's about 70km from Sur to Tiwi all along the coast on a dirt track - took my family up there on the way back last time.... Then as you head out of Tiwi you eventually get to a place where you head inland and over the mountains until you drop back down just before Quiriyat.... I might have some GPS co-ordinates (but not sure....) Sur to Muscat took about 5 hours -with little stops....

Hope it helps,

Tony.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Oman Adventure Sports Forum Index -> General Country Info + Camping and Places to Stay All times are GMT + 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: